My extended family in Alabama helped me name this drink when we made it up this summer while we were melting into the red clay soil during a southern heatwave. It does take a teensy-weensy bit of preparation, but it is so worth it.
- 1.5 ounces mezcal
- 2 ounces of spicy watermelon granita (recipe below)
- Lime and salt or sugar for the rim, and for a pinch in the glass
- About 4 cups of pureed seedless watermelon
- A pinch of Cajun spice mix
- Splash of lime juice
Blend all the ingredients together, pour into a metal baking pan. Freeze for about 30 to 45 minutes, until the mixture has just started to freeze. Use a fork to scrape the partially frozen mixture into coarse flakes. Return to the freezer. Repeat two or three times then freeze for another four hours.
- Rim margarita glass with lime and salt or sugar
- Add mezcal to the glass
- Fill with the granita
- Garnish with a thin slice of lime, wedged into the granita
Keywords: Alabama Sunset, spicy watermelon granita, mezcal, seedless watermelon, Cajun spice mix