Whole Food Plant Based, Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten-free, Oil-free.
- 2 acorn squash (2 lbs. each)
- 1 rib celery, chopped (1/2 c.)
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped (1 c.)
- 1 15 oz. can low-sodium garbanzo beans, rinsed
- 1 t. dried thyme
- 1 t. smoked paprika
- 1/8 t. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 c. dried cranberries
- 1 c. quinoa, rinsed (Bob’s Redmill preferred)
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 c. pecans, coarsely chopped
- Prick squash and roast whole at 400 degrees for 45 minutes.
- In a medium pot, heat 2 tablespoons of water. Add garlic and onion and cook on low heat until soft, stirring frequently.
- Add 1-1/2 c. water and rest of ingredients (except for pecans) to the pot. Bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer until the quinoa absorbs all the liquid, about 20 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Once squash are cool enough to handle, cut in half and scrape out seeds. You will have four half shells. Fill each half with a quarter of the quinoa mixture.
- Sprinkle each squash with pecans and serve.
Make Ahead: The squash can be stuffed ahead of time, refrigerated and reheated in the oven or microwave. They can also be frozen, thawed and reheated. Do not refrigerate or freeze with pecans on top for crisper pecans.
Keywords: stuffed acorn squash, stuffed acorn squash vegan, stuffed acorn squash recipe