This simple pea salad will elevate your entire dinner when used as a side and stand out as a main course for a bright vegetarian meal.
- 1 16–ounce bag of frozen peas
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise (vegan mayonnaise can be used)
- 1/2 Teaspoon white vinegar (for authenticity, apple cider and really any clear vinegar works)
- 1 small bunch (about six) of green onions, sliced into thin discs, including some of the green leaves
- 4 slices of bacon, fried or baked until crisp and crumbled (healthier version: use water chestnuts!)
- A speck (this is a grandma measurement equal to a scant dollop which is about half a teaspoon) of sour cream (vegan sour cream can be used)
- 1 SINGLE dash of Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1 SINGLE dash of Louisiana Hot Sauce (optional)
- 4 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese (vegan cheddar can be used)
- a scant pinch of sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- In your serving bowl, stir the mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, sugar, and black pepper. If you’re using Worcestershire Sauce or hot sauce, add them too.
- Add the peas, onions, and cheese, mix well
- Salt to taste, mix one last time to make it pretty
- Top with the bacon. Or water chestnuts.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
This goes very well with a nice warm slice of tomato pie.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: side
- Cuisine: southern
Keywords: peas, salad, creamy, easy, bacon, southern