This low-carb lasagna featuring thinly sliced zucchini is the perfect stand-in for the classic Italian comfort food!
- 4 large zucchini, sliced about ¼ inch thick (a mandolin slicer is helpful, but not necessary)
- 2 15-ounce containers part-skim ricotta or dairy-free ricotta
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. salt, plus more for seasoning to taste
- ½ tsp. black pepper, plus more for seasoning to taste
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, excess moisture squeezed out
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese or Follow Your Heart Vegan Mozzarella Shreds
- 1½ cups shredded parmesan cheese or dairy-free parmesan cheese
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- ¾ cup shredded carrot
- 1 yellow squash, diced
- 6 cups marinara sauce
Preheat oven to 375°. (Note: After removing the zucchini noodles from the oven, increase the temperature to 400°.)
- Place sliced zucchini on large baking sheet coated with non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes to help dry out the zucchini a bit.
- While the zucchini is roasting, in a medium bowl make the ricotta mixture by whisking together the ricotta, eggs, salt and pepper. Add the spinach and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, make the shredded cheese mixture by combining the mozzarella, parmesan, basil, and oregano.
- Make your mixed vegetable filling by heating a large skillet over medium-high heat and adding the olive oil. Add the garlic and onions and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the carrots and yellow squash. Cook until the vegetables are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and drain off any excess liquid.
- If you didn’t already, increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees F.
- Assemble the lasagna in a 9 by 13-inch glass baking dish with the following layers: Spread a third of the marinara sauce over the bottom of the baking dish. Arrange a layer of zucchini noodles on top. Spread a third of the ricotta mixture over the zucchini noodles. Spread a third of the cooked mixed vegetables. Sprinkle with a third of the shredded cheese mixture. Repeat to make two more layers, ending with the shredded cheese mixture on top.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and continue to bake until the top is golden brown, about 10-15 minutes more.
Let cool at least 10 minutes before serving.