This slow cooker pot roast is simple to prepare (just 30 minutes of active cooking time — less if you use the shortcut method) and comfort food at its best.
2 T. Canola or Safflower Oil
3–4 lb chuck roast
4 carrots, peeled and sliced in one-inch chunks
2 celery stalks, half-inch slices (rough chopped)
1 large onion, diced
1 clove garlic, smashed
4 medium red potatoes, cut into one-inch cubes
1/2 c red wine*
2 bay leaves
3 T. chopped parsley
1 qt. Beef broth
14.5 oz. can chopped tomatoes (low salt)
1 t. Salt
1 t. Pepper
1–2 lbs. Baby potatoes (Yukon gold or red)
Safflower or Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
- Season the pot roast on all sides with salt and pepper, allow to sit at room temp. for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or cast iron skillet. Add meat and sear on all sides. Remove meat from the pan and set it aside on a plate nearby.
- Quickly add chopped onions to the hot pan and stir for tw0-three minutes until beginning to soften and get color. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add wine to the skillet to deglaze the pan. Allow to cook down for at least five minutes.
- Meantime, add the remaining fresh vegetables to the slow cooker (except for the baby potatoes). Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add seared pot roast to the slow cooker. Top with canned tomatoes.
- Pour broth around the pot roast, making sure it covers the meat.
- Add bay leaves, thyme and salt and pepper.
- Turn on the slow cooker on high for 3 to 4 hours. If the roast is not fork tender (you should be able to stick a fork in the roast and twist it easily), add one more hour to the time.
- When roast is done, remove it and the large vegetables. Strain the liquid remaining into a large saucepan. Bring to a simmer and reduce at least by one third. Return the pot roast and liquid to the pan.
- If you are not adding the optional roast potatoes, serve in bowls sprinkled with parsley.
- For optional roast potatoes, make sure your potatoes are roughly equal in size. Toss with 1 T. (or 2) of oil, salt and pepper. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Place potatoes on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes, turn and roast another five minutes or until done.
- Once potatoes are done, toss them into the slow cooker with the pot roast and service. (You could also simply place the pot roast on top of the roast potatoes in each person’s bowl.)
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 4-5 hours
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
Keywords: pot roast, beef, slow cooker, dinner, comfort food, slow cooker pot roast, slow cooker pot roast recipe