This vegan version of broccoli cauliflower casserole looks like creamed broccoli but the cream sauce is actually the cauliflower.
For the cauliflower sauce
- 1 T of coconut oil
- 1 T of olive oil
- 1 Shallot, minced
- 1 small head of cauliflower (about the size of a large grapefruit), steamed and cut coarsely
- 2 c. vegetable stock or water
- 1 t. kosher salt
- 1/2 c. unsweetened coconut cream
- 1 t. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large head of broccoli
- 1/4 c. roasted slivered almonds (optional)
- 1/2 c. Gluten-free panko bread crumbs
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 t. olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sauté the shallot and in the coconut and olive oil in a medium pan until it is translucent but not browned. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the cauliflower and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the stock or water and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, add a pinch of salt, simmer for 10 minutes until the cauliflower is very tender and the liquid has reduced by half.
- Add the coconut cream and simmer for about two more minutes
- Remove, pan from heat, allow to cool, pour into a blender and blend until the sauce is creamy and velvety
- Taste and adjust seasoning
- Set aside
- Cut broccoli into individual florets and steam until tender.
- Cover the bottom of an ovenproof baking dish (I use an 8 inch round ramekin that’s about 3 inches deep) with about two tablespoons of the cauliflower sauce.
- Spread the broccoli on top.
- Salt and pepper the broccoli
- Pour the remainder of the sauce over the broccoli (allow some of the broccoli florets to poke up through the sauce to brown).
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, almonds and cayenne with olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Sprinkle on top of the casserole.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs are browned and the sauce is bubbly
Replace the coconut oil with butter and the coconut cream with actual cream to pull this dish out of vegan territory.
Replace the vegetable stock with chicken stock, the coconut oil with butter, and the coconut cream with actual cream. Add 1/4 c. grated parmesan to the panko breadcrumb topping, or go extra cheesy and top the casserole with 1 c. grated cheddar cheese before you add the breadcrumb topping.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan broccoli cauliflower casserole, creamy gluten-free vegan cauliflower sauce, vegan cauliflower sauce, vegan cauliflower cream sauce