This is the easiest classic Italian salad you’ll ever make. There are really only two steps. Pour yourself of nice cold coupe full of prosecco and get to work making the best Italian salad ever!
- 1 garlic clove
- Pinch of salt
- 2 T Hellman’s Mayonaisse
- 1/4 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 T red wine vinegar
- 1/2 t Balsamic vinegar
- Generous pinch of dried oregano
- Generous pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of sugar (optional, see above)
- 1 large head of heart of Romaine, chopped
- 1 small head of Radicchio, cored then chopped
- 1/4 small head of Iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Roma tomato, halved, sliced
- 1/2 C pitted black olives
- 8 to 10 whole Greek pepperoncini
- 1 C finely grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1 C homemade croutons
- Slice the garlic in half; coat the inside of a large salad bowl with the garlic.
- In the same bowl, mash the garlic with the salt until it forms a paste.
- Add the mayonnaise, olive oil, oregano, vinegar, pepper. Add a pinch of sugar IF you opt to rise pickled red onions instead of fresh.
- Add everything else, toss gently to coat. Serve immediately.
You can change every single ingredient to fit your flavor palette. Use Frisée instead of the iceberg; use any combination of vinegar; add a little dollop of anchovy paste to the dressing; use Romano or any other dry Italian cheese, like Asiago; use spicy croutons. You can French it up with shallots, carrots, and slivers of celery.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: salad
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Italian, salad, dressing, vinegar, croutons