This is a great alternative to pumpkin pie, which sounds blasphemous, but it’s not. Just calm down. Not everyone likes pie.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 two–pound pumpkin, peeled, seeded and quartered
- 1 Sweet potato, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1.5 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup of water
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 4 teaspoons of butter (vegan butter or more olive oil for the vegan version)
- 4 slices of your favorite bread, toasted for grilled (try using a country French bread)
- .50 of a seeded, roasted red bell pepper, or an Italian frying pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon
- pinch of Allspice
- .5 teaspoon of grated ginger or dried ginger
- Optional: pinch of Masala
- Optional: tablespoon of Bourbon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Chop the onion
- Core and seed the peppers
- Peel then slice the pumpkin into quarters, brush the meat with olive oil
- Peel then quarter the sweet potato
- Place the pumpkin, sweet potato, and peppers into the oven on a foil-lined tray; bake for 15 minutes.
- Check the peppers and remove if charred or blistered
- Return to the oven for 5 to 10 more minutes until the pumpkin is slightly browned and a toothpick pokes into it easily
- Remove the pumpkin and sweet potato.
- Sauté onion in olive oil until golden, but not browned in a heavy saucepan or casserole
- add the pumpkin, sweet potato, and pepper to the saucepan and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon so nothing sticks, for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the water
- Stir 1 cup of coconut milk
- Add salt, pepper, and remaining spices
- Cook for 30 minutes over low heat
- Purée in a blender, food processor, or by the easiest way, by using a submersion blender
- Add butter and remaining coconut milk.
- Return to stove; bring to a boil, then immediately remove from the heat and serve with bread.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 1 Hour
- Category: Soup
- Method: Bake/cook top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pumpkin soup with coconut milk recipe, pumpkin soup coconut milk, pumpkin soup