Packed with broccoli, cauliflower and carrots—and topped with just enough cheddar cheese to make it seem indulgent — this quick and easy veggie and rice casserole is a weeknight go-to recipe (and a kid-pleaser, too).
3 cups cooked short-grain brown rice
8 oz. Broccoli florets
8 oz. Cauliflower florets
1 large carrot, sliced into half-inch pieces
Salt and Pepper
4 oz. cheddar cheese, grated (Vegan cheddar can be substituted)
- Cook brown rice according to package directions.
- Steam the broccoli, cauliflower and carrots together until “almost” done, 3-5 minutes. A fork or knife should be able to pierce through the vegetables but they should not be too soft or mushy. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, vegetables and approximately 1 teaspoon of Kosher salt and a pinch of pepper.
- Spoon the rice mixture into an 8- or 9-inch square or round casserole dish.
- Top with the grated cheese. Sprinkle evenly.
- Bake, covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake another 5 to 10 minutes until the cheese is bubbly but not brown.
The casserole makes a complete meal but is also delightful with a small side salad and a loaf of crusty bread. For meat eaters, the casserole makes an excellent side for roast chicken.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minures
- Category: main dish
- Method: steamed, baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegetarian casserole, broccoli, cauliflower, kid-friendly casserole, brown rice and veggie casserole